* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ServInfo Help!  (Read 4769 times)

Pee Dee

• Airlines Fly-in Planners
  • Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
ServInfo Help!
« on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 12:08:32 »
Just tried this and unfortunately came up with the foillowing warning message:

Not Found !
List of available servers cannot be retrieved.
Data not loaded.

Then a message about holding down the shift key when pressing the server key  to get a list of active servers.
Which when done says no active servers could be found ?
CPU=i7 4770k@4.40GHZ. Video card=GTX 1050ti 3GB. Memory=16GB@2133MHZ.
1x 256GB SSD. 2x 500GB HDD.1x 150Gb HDD.

Pee Dee

• Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
ServInfo Help!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 12:21:09 »
Just done a complete re-install of Servinfo just in case mine was screwed up in some way, unfortunately, no change except the message now has a header which says

"cannot resolve host name to ip address "  ????

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 12.0 / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Re: ServInfo Help!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 13:10:03 »
Phil,

First - I've separated your comments and moved the topic... there's only a few of us with permissions to post in NOTAMs so others with advice wouldn't be able to help!

I've not seen these problems, and have the program running on two machines.

The way Servinfo works is that it downloads a "locator file" from the server that tells it where to get the "whazzup" file which contains details of all the connected clients.

The first of your problems is consistent with the locator file not being where you're telling it, so you need to make sure that you've correctly entered "http://bfsg.game-host.org/servinfo" as the locator path URL in the connection parameters window.

The second of your problems is consistent with a DNS lookup problem. That too could be a problem with your having typed in the URL incorrectly, but could also be due to your ISPs DNS. The latter is unlikely if your other online activity is unaffected though.

All I can suggest at this stage is to double-check all of the settings - particularly the URL - are as shown in the image, try again, and report back.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 15:11:12 »
I had exactly the same experience as Phil, not being a geek I assumed that I had done something wrong. After much head scratching I eventually did what Phil did and re-installed Servinfo only to discover to my horror that I still got the same doom laden statements. Eventually I have managed to get back all my Vatsim traffic and atc info by pressing the Shift + Vatsim symbol (top left), I have to do this every time I run Servinfo, what a bore.

I would suggest that other non-members of the Geek Club may want to steer clear of Andy's suggestion. After all, you only see a few bfsg flyers at any one time and nothing else.

Sorry Andy - I normally think you are wonderful.  ::)
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return –  Leonardo da Vinci.

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 16:13:09 »
I am wonderful - these sorts of problems are usually down to instructions not being followed to the letter!  :P Please try these instructions and tell me when something doesn't happen the way I say it should...

1. Click on this link - http://bfsg.game-host.org/servinfo/status.txt - you might want to get it to open in a different window so you can carry on following this checklist. You should see something like this...

Code: [Select]
100000:NOTCP
url0=http://bfsg.game-host.org/fsd/whazzup.txt
url1=http://bfsg.game-host.org/fsd/voice.txt

As an aside, the comment about using "Shift" key when downloading server information forces ServInfo to look on your hard disk for this information rather than fetching it from the internet so unless you've got a file called "Bristol FSG.loc" in the ServInfo directory, that won't work.

2. Click on this link - which happens to be the link from the url0 line in the above - http://bfsg.game-host.org/fsd/whazzup.txt. You should see something like this (although it gets updated every 30 seconds and there'll be more information if anyone is connected to the server).

![DateStamp]09/03/2009 16:04
!GENERAL
VERSION = 1
RELOAD = 1
UPDATE = 20090309160452
CONNECTED CLIENTS = 0
CONNECTED SERVERS = 1
!CLIENTS
!SERVERS
BFSG:bfsg.game-host.org:Bristol, UK:Bristol Flight Simulator Group FSD Linux:1

3. Finally, click on this link - which happens to be the link from the url1 line in the above - http://bfsg.game-host.org/fsd/voice.txt. You should see something like this.

!GENERAL
VERSION = 1
RELOAD = 1
CONNECTED VOICE SERVERS = 1
!VOICE SERVERS
bfsg.game-host.org:Global:BFSG-V:1:T:BFSG - Teamspeak

If you get this far, there is nothing wrong with the information that is being provided by the server to your ServInfo program, and the problem most likely lies with something in ServInfo. Check the picture in the NOTAMs carefully making sure that you take note of the text in red below it that says that the proxy box shouldn't be checked...

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 16:18:40 »
Yes Andy and thanks for your efforts, however as I said in my post, what you get for all this work is half a dozen bfsg aircraft on the Servinfo screen. Unless somebody can convince me otherwise, it is hardly worth the effort. I think for the time being, I will stick with what I have. 

Just to prove that I am not a total non-geek, yes I get all of your links exactly as you say in your explanation in the prevous post. And yes, I did uncheck the proxy thing in Servinfo and carefully followed your brief. In case I did not explain the problem that I experienced - BFSG was fine but when I tried to go back to my original settings, all I got was the messages that Phil talked about. Only when I did the Shift +Vatsim thing was I able to recover my original picture and now I have to do that every time I want to use Servinfo despite re-installing - drat and double drat. :'(

I still think that this is a step too far for most people who use Servinfo but, then again, perhaps I am being a non-geek.  ::)
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 16:28:17 by Ollie Alderson »
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return –  Leonardo da Vinci.

Pee Dee

• Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 16:41:52 »
Ollie all you need to do to get Vatsim open when you start Servinfo is to open the connection parameters window from the options menu. Then look for the line that says "automatically load data at program start up " (which should have a little tick box with it. Then just to the right of this is a small drop down menu box that will currently be showing Bristol FSG, click on the down arrown and select Vatsim from the list and then click OK. All will be restored so that when you start Servinfo Vatsim data will be loaded automatically.

Pee Dee

• Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 16:45:44 »
Andy followed through all requests above and all work as demonstrated, but still get the same error message when trying to start BFSG ?

Have rechecked all settings and found one error, which was to have used games-host instead of game-host in the url path.
Having rectified this, as I say error message still appears...
Still no need to bust a gut on this, its a nice to have rather than a need to have ...

Duncan

• Approved Member
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 10.25 / Mac OSX 10.9.3
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 17:11:58 »
Ollie all you need to do to get Vatsim open ......

Anyone would think there are moves afoot to keep a watchful eye on members who are 'secretly' two-timing BFSG on VATSIM! I have never heard of such a thing..

Tee-Hee, Ho-Ho  ;)
Mac OS, X-Plane 64 bit, XSBX, Skymaxx Pro

Pee Dee

• Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 17:25:51 »
I'm shocked Duncan !

None of our members would ever think of doing such a thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 18:19:37 »
Yes Andy and thanks for your efforts, however as I said in my post, what you get for all this work is half a dozen bfsg aircraft on the Servinfo screen. Unless somebody can convince me otherwise, it is hardly worth the effort. I think for the time being, I will stick with what I have.

In which case, we're at slightly cross-purposes as I understood from this post of yours and another hidden away in places that not everyone can see that this was a "nice to have". I agree that you're not going to see too many people on the BFSG server, but at least when they are there, you'll be able to find out which airfield they're closest to in case you want to join them.  ;D

I still think that this is a step too far for most people who use Servinfo but, then again, perhaps I am being a non-geek.  ::)

This is all very confusing to me as I've spoken with one of our number on TeamSpeak and he has confirmed that everything worked as advertised.

In case I did not explain the problem that I experienced - BFSG was fine but when I tried to go back to my original settings, all I got was the messages that Phil talked about. Only when I did the Shift +Vatsim thing was I able to recover my original picture and now I have to do that every time I want to use Servinfo despite re-installing - drat and double drat.  :'(

I must admit to not having understood that the way your servinfo now works for VATSIM had changed. If the steps that Phil has suggested don't work in respect of network errors and having to use the "Shift" key, then after saving a backup of your "servinfo.ini" file, check that the line inside it that starts with "VATSIM Servers Locator Url" reads...

VATSIM Servers Locator Url=http://usa-s1.vatsim.net/data
With this, everything works for me - although I do accept that this might not be a great comfort!  ;) If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll do what I can to get you back to normal service.

Like everything that we're putting in place here, it's up to individuals to decide whether or not they want to use it! The more we offer that works with software that people already know, the more likely (I think) they are to feel comfortable in the online environment we're providing.

John Heaton

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 18:31:38 »
Andy,

At the risk of entering a slightly 'warmer than normal' thread with my first post to the group, I'll step up and say that by following your instructions (to the letter as requested!) I was able to connect ServInfo - with voice to boot!

I am wondering if the 'Connection Parameters – Time warning' set at 10 minutes is causing an issue . The help states:

"Sometimes there might be a difference in your computer’s clock and the server’s computer clock, so even if the data are current a warning will be issued. In this case increase the above time limit (or correct the time on your computer’s clock if it is incorrectly set)."

Maybe 'never' could be tried by those getting a warning?

Regards,

John

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 Mar 2009, 22:45:21 »
Ah...   :-[

I've just reread my previous post, and it does come across as being somewhat aggressive when that wan't my intention. I apologise wholeheartedly if anyone has taken offence.

I'm happy to work through problems that anyone is seeing with this if they're interested in doing so. As Ollie points out, there won't be that much to see if you do, but it does offer some interesting functionality which isn't available with anything else we do as far as I'm aware.

I promise to type once and think twice next time...

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 Mar 2009, 08:26:12 »
As our forum does not, thankfully, suffer from vitriolic posts, I wish to assure everybody, especially Andy, that I took no offence from anything that has been said in this thread. On the contrary I have quite enjoyed dabbling with the innards of Servinfo, the fact that my copy of the programme is currently poorly, is no doubt due to my incompetence rather than anything Andy has suggested. We have the great, good fortune to know each member of our group pretty well as a result of our monthly meetings and I can honestly say that I value the friendship and advice that is so freely given by all. If any apologies are due, they are mine and if anything that I have written in this thread has been taken as a criticism of Andy, then I do sincerely apologise.

What was it that young Andy said? - "I promise to type once and think twice next time..." Wise words indeed.

EDIT

I have now followed Phil's advice -
All will be restored so that when you start Servinfo Vatsim data will be loaded automatically.

So it does Phil, my faith in the human race is restored.

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 Mar 2009, 13:26:37 by Ollie Alderson »

Pee Dee

• Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 Mar 2009, 10:22:29 »
John,
Thanks for the tip, but I'm afraid it made no difference, still get the same error message

Cannot resolve host name to IP address
List of available servers cannot be retrieved
data not loaded

I currently have my pc operating on a dynamic ip address, so I'll change to a fixed one and see if that helps ?

* Random Image

2009 feb 7 009
 Views: 683
Posted by Norman
Feb 07, 2009
in Normans Album