* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Random Image

Departing Tenerife
 Views: 387
Posted by jackana
Dec 28, 2010
in Aircraft

Poll

Which evening/s could you join a new online session

Monday
8 (26.7%)
Tuesday
7 (23.3%)
Wednesday
2 (6.7%)
Friday
3 (10%)
Saturday
2 (6.7%)
Sunday
6 (20%)
not interested
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 11:09:36

Author Topic: a new online evening - a suggestion  (Read 2512 times)

JayBee

• Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member
  • Founder Member
  • Superhero Member
a new online evening - a suggestion
« on: Tue, 10 Feb 2009, 11:34:59 »
I notice that members sometimes refer to some military aircraft that they have installed on their PC's.

The normal programme of GA and heavies' evenings do not really allow for the use of any WW2 aircraft, although I suppose that it would be acceptable to use a Spitfire on a GA evening!

Would our members like to have an evening of WW2 aircraft?

No holds barred - beat up the airfield, generally enjoy yourselves - whatever!  ;D

I know that if somebody else does not have your aircraft in their hangar - then you won't see what they are flying.

I also recognise that 80% or more posts are made by 20% or less of the members. So if the usual people post - then I will not take that as endorsement or disapproval of the idea.

Perhaps the best way is to announce the event and the evening and see who connects.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 Feb 2009, 11:11:47 by JayBee »
Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member

Mac@Bath

• GA Fly-in Planner
  • Superhero Member
  • "All round pretty good guy." (Sometimes!)
Re: Group evening of WW2 Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 Feb 2009, 12:14:05 »
Go for it!
This is precisely the sort of thing that I had in mind on my own previous posts, when suggesting that there are MANY such ideas worthy of persuing....even if only a minority join in for each 'event'.   It might not now even be necessary to think ONLY in terms of Thursday evenings!

If WW2, then why not WW1 'string-bags'?   (Thinks ;D, and then why not WW3...has anyone tested whether our respective "Stealths" really ARE radar-invisible - ?on FSNav/FSCommander!)

If gliders, then why not helios (enough people seem to enjoy 'messing around' in them AFTER our regular fly-ins)?
Why not "single" brand nights (eg group together ALL 737's OR Barons OR F117A's OR...whatever...?).
Anyone up for trying close formation???   (Who's already downloaded the Red Arrow model?)

And there is STILL the opportunity - I might even say "neccessity" - for us to consider a "First-Timer's" group or even a 'bring-a-friend' session, where we could get some of the shy-er membership to come and 'dip their toes in' without worrying about the consequences.

More power to your elbow Jay Bee.   Keep the club developing....otherwise we might ALL, perhaps, become a little fixed in our ways! ::)

Barry

Duncan

• Approved Member
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 10.25 / Mac OSX 10.9.3
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 Feb 2009, 13:08:46 »
I think Barry makes some good points here and I would be up for a WWII evening (not sure about WWs I or III though) on a different night from our usual ones. As we get used to the new system and the features it offers lots more informal events could be suggested by members, which is something, if handled properly, I think will be good for the club.

Duncan 'twenty-percenter'  ;)
Mac OS, X-Plane 64 bit, XSBX, Skymaxx Pro

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Airlines Fly-in Planners
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 Feb 2009, 13:54:53 »
I would imagine that JB's idea will find some support among those with "Thunder in their Gloves". As an appetiser I have posted a rather lovely picture of a Lancaster flying over a snowy landscape, it can be found in the Image Gallery/Flight Simulator/Aircraft section. If I knew how I would provide a direct link.  :'(

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return   Leonardo da Vinci.

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 11.40 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 Feb 2009, 15:46:33 »
If I knew how I would provide a direct link.  :'(

Read this post and you should be able to work it out...

But in case you can't...

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
Re: a new online evening - a suggestion
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 Feb 2009, 16:51:56 »
Thanks Andy

I will read and inwardly digest, meanwhile I never, ever, flew a Javelin painted in those awful colours. The grey is not too bad, but the green is yukkie.  ::)
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return   Leonardo da Vinci.

Norman

• Approved Member
    • VBFC
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 Feb 2009, 18:26:23 »
Would love to see another night set aside for flying online.

I for one would love to fly Heaves and GA but not passable when we fly on the same night. At the moment I am waiting for DCS Black Shark to be released and will spend a lot of time learning this sim.

Anyone else going to get Black Shark?

(Have voted for my three nights.)
Norman
Severnair 21. Clifton 44. BAW0278.

Gary M

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 Feb 2009, 15:52:22 »
I second everything that Barry said - well done JB

RogerDee (RIP)

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 15:11:01 »
Why not " Fly something new today".  The are loads of interesting aeroplanes.  I fancy trying the F86 in the last PC Pilot.  Fancy your chances Duncan with the MIG15!  Imagine a fly past of Spitfires , with perhaps  a Hercules a Tiger Moth and all sorts in between.

Roger

Norman

• Approved Member
    • VBFC
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 15:32:37 »
Hi Roger

I also have the F86 and for peeps who do not get PC Pilot you can get it for free from the makers Web-site.

http://www.sectionf8.com/

Haven’t really flown it much just the once after loading! Would be good to get a few of us up together and try some formation flying.

Post if interested and we will arrange a night.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 18:16:04 by Norman »
Norman

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 15:41:22 »
Jolly good show Norman
I also have the Mig86

Now I have heard of the Mig-15 but the Mig-86 sounds as though it must have been designed after my time.  ::)

Pee Dee

• Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 15:59:23 »
Yea, it was a secret project run by the Russians, based on the Sabre or was it the Saab ? Come to think of it, I think the Russians based everything on the West but claimed it as their own..( Allegedly) ;D
Remember the TU-144, now how the heck did they get up to speed so quickly with supersonic flight ??  ;D
CPU=i7 4770k@4.40GHZ. Video card=GTX 780 3GB. Memory=16GB@2133MHZ.
1x 256GB SSD. 2x 500GB HDD.1x 150Gb HDD.

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 16:12:44 »
As Phil says -
Russians based everything on the West

The Russians used to run the VC10ski (otherwise known as the IL-62) through Gander on their way to Cuba. It was always interesting to watch as they extended the tail prop that supposedly stopped their hybrid from tipping on to its tail. Rumour also had it that the front end passengers had to remain seated until the back end Ivans and Igors had left the aircraft for the same reason.

We always greeted the Aeroflot crew with a cheerful "Glasnost and Perestroika" when we met them in the handling agents office. They usually replied with a frown. On the other hand, I flew to Moscow twice and always found that the locals were very friendly although one never knew whether your bedroom was bugged. No doubt you have all heard the story of the BA flight engineer who found a suspicious object under his carpet, after revealing what looked like a microphone, he unscrewed the retaining bolt and the chandelier crashed onto his captain's bed in the room below.

Shades of "Only Fools and Horses" I know, but I heard the story long before that famous episode and have often wondered if the script writer stole the original.

I fear that there is a danger of stealing JB's thread. Never mind.  ::)
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 16:20:42 by Ollie Alderson »

RogerDee (RIP)

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 16:38:33 »
As Phil says -
Russians based everything on the West

The Russians used to run the VC10ski (otherwise known as the IL-62) through Gander on their way to Cuba. It was always interesting to watch as they extended the tail prop that supposedly stopped their hybrid from tipping on to its tail. Rumour also had it that the front end passengers had to remain seated until the back end Ivans and Igors had left the aircraft for the same reason.

We always greeted the Aeroflot crew with a cheerful "Glasnost and Perestroika" when we met them in the handling agents office. They usually replied with a frown. On the other hand, I flew to Moscow twice and always found that the locals were very friendly although one never knew whether your bedroom was bugged. No doubt you have all heard the story of the BA flight engineer who found a suspicious object under his carpet, after revealing what looked like a microphone, he unscrewed the retaining bolt and the chandelier crashed onto his captain's bed in the room below.

Shades of "Only Fools and Horses" I know, but I heard the story long before that famous episode and have often wondered if the script writer stole the original.

I fear that there is a danger of stealing JB's thread. Never mind.  ::)

HI Ollie.  I,ve flow in an IL62 ( VC10).  Quite terrifying.  Rate of climb similar to a fully loaded Brittania.  The Noise!!!!!

Roger

Norman

• Approved Member
    • VBFC
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 18:19:43 »
Hmm F86  :-[
Norman