* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Random Image

HMS Ark Royal Landing
 Views: 457
Posted by MYK956 (RIP)
Sep 24, 2009
in Scenery

Author Topic: Trial of new gallery software  (Read 2237 times)

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 11.40 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Trial of new gallery software
« on: Sun, 11 Jan 2009, 16:28:11 »
Pete and I have been acutely aware since this online facility was first provided that the album facility that was selected wasn't ideal, and that it does look and feel like a "bolt-on" that is slightly out of place. At the time, it was the best that was available (for free), and it was infinitely better than the default gallery facilities provided by the forum software. However, things change, and even before the suitability of Coppermine was called into question on this forum, we were investigating alternatives.

Well, we think we've found one, and we've installed it and are rolling it out as I type; I'll update this message when it's complete. The link on the navigation bar at the top will be repointed to open the new gallery; it will also accessible from the forum navigation bar under "Gallery".

As a taster, here are a couple of features that the new gallery offers...

It's simple to embed images into posts now - when you post an image in the gallery, it will tell you exactly what text you need to put in a forum post to embed the image, and with judicious use of options you can change the appearance.

So, for a thumbnail, include: -
Code: [Select]
[smg id=15]to get...

For the larger preview, put: -
[smg id=79 type=preview]to get...

For the full image, include: -
[smg id=76 type=full]to get...
... but beware of pictures that might be too big!

It's also possible to put links in the gallery to content held on a number of the more popular video sites, and easy to embed that in posts too. I've copied a link from one of Ollie's messages and posted that in the gallery, and put a link to it here as follows...

[smg id=106 type=av]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BvgSS6kBdU&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BvgSS6kBdU&amp;feature=related</a>

The id number is assigned (and shown to you when you view any picture) in the gallery, so it's easy enough to find. Also, there is a limit to the number of tags that will be converted to pictures on one forum page. This is currently set to the default 10.

In case you're wondering, all of the Coppermine content has been migrated across, so we've lost nothing and it's still there in case we decide to go back. For the time being though, it's been disabled, and won't be accessible from here.

As always, feedback is encouraged, and we'd love to hear what you think.