* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The DH8D  (Read 1753 times)

TimCee

• Airlines Fly-in Planners
  • Superhero Member
  • Country Member
Re: The DH8D
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 Apr 2014, 09:07:21 »
I have only just discovered this thread ... the luxury of having time on holiday!     I think recent experience has shown that approach controllers are well able to cope with a mixture of aircraft including the Dash8. What is of greater concern to me (when app controller) is the issue of pilots not ensuring they have the correct ILS freq for the approach.  I always ensure that I have the FS default frequencies available ...just in case!    :D
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds, and done a hundred things you have not dreamed of.  High Flight -JG Magee

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 Apr 2014, 09:51:26 »
Interesting thoughts from Phil Waller. Could be true, but as the 747-400 flyers do not add "Heavy" to their callsigns, I will also continue not to do so in my 757-200.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return –  Leonardo da Vinci.

kiremonger

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 14:31:37 »
I've just come back from my first Barn meeting and thoroughly enjoyed myself  :) Thanks Phil for the lift.

I love this thread, especially being a real world Dash-8 pilot.  :)

My comment would be that below FL100/10,000ft all aircraft must fly below 250kt. The Dash-8 can happily fly around the TMA (Terminal Manoeuvering Area) @ 235kt so there's no 'keeping up with the heavies' to be done. Us Dash-8 boys in the real world were often asked to slow down by ATC because we were catching up with the heavies who had to more carefully manage their speed control due to their weight and trouble in slowing down.

Look forward to seeing any responses. However think renaming groups to VFR and Commercial/IFR has to be a good idea.

Big smiles  ;)
Keith Iremonger
keith.iremonger@kitcnet.net

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 16:41:45 »
Although I agree with Keith's comments on the Dash8, I have to say that recent bookings by Dash8 pilots have indicated that speeds as slow as 190 knots were being adopted in the cruise. I wonder what speed they intended to fly once below 10,000 feet?

My hopes that the Dash8 was a passing fancy seem to have been dashed and we had the doubtful pleasure of seeing 6 out of 12 participating pilots flying the propeller driven aircraft last week.

Ah well.  ::)
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return –  Leonardo da Vinci.

Duncan

• Approved Member
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 10.25 / Mac OSX 10.9.3
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 17:31:53 »
Is it time for a dedicated Dash 8 / Turboprop evening, so our Dash-ily minded individuals not only indulge their hobby but also don't miss out on the delights of the 737, 757, 767, 777, 747 etc on Thursday?

Just a thought.
Mac OS, X-Plane 64 bit, XSBX, Skymaxx Pro

pwaller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 18:10:33 »
We already have a dedicated Majestic Dash8-Q400 training flight on Sunday mornings.  The flights are issued via a mailing list.  This is intended to be a Q400 only flight as we try to introduce an element of training unique to the aircraft and we fly to interesting places served by this aircraft.  Anyone can join in who wishes to learn the aircraft.  We don't as yet have a sub forum but JB can add you to the mailing list if you wish to join.

As for the other efforts to try and ban it on Thursdays.  Surely in the real world a mixture of commercial aircraft is more realistic than just one model of aircraft.  I have flown into most of the major airports in Europe in a dash8 and I don't remember people lined up along the runway holding banners saying "DASH 8s OUT"   

John Jones

• Dash 8 Fly-In Planners
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 18:34:09 »
Speaking for myself I no longer fly the 747 and 737 as after 4 years the joy as you put it has faded.  50% of the group now fly the Dash and the reason most give is you have to fly it. as for ban it someone has already tried. That only encouraged more people to fly it.

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:00:17 »
A little strong Phil -
"DASH 8s OUT"

Nobody has suggested a ban, but we are in danger of becoming an offshoot of the GA Fly-In. I have nothing but admiration for the way they do things, but they are different. For those that want to cruise at 190 knots, I suggest that they might find greater satisfaction there.

Obviously, the Dash8 is welcome to the Airlines Fly-Ins, provided that pilots book their flights at about 250 knots and are prepared to operate at approximately that speed below 10,000 feet.

There, I have stated my views and I hope that a little sanity will return to this thread.  8)

Mac@Bath

• GA Fly-in Planner
  • Superhero Member
  • "All round pretty good guy." (Sometimes!)
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:30:02 »
I am (personally!) totally bemused by this amazing outbreak of anti-Dash-ism!
Do airports in the real world make up 'rules' on which specific aircraft THEY are willing to handle?
My Beechcraft Duke cruises comfortably at/above 180kts.
My SR71 cruises a tad faster than "even" a 767.
Am I simply banned from Thursdays? (By whom?)
Do I need to put in a bid for Wednesdays?
Do we need a separate evening for c172's plus Cubs and another for B58's plus c337's?
This thread is becoming unsustainable.....and rather silly.
B
(Somebody is bound to suggest that they now be given their own Forum "room)!
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:33:43 by Mac@Bath »

kiremonger

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 00:04:52 »

Hopefully the above picture showing the various VMO speeds for different altitudes will settle the discussion that the Dash-8 can get left behind! I admit, the humble Dash-8 can't compete at 30,000ft in the cruise with say a 777 or A340, but it will certainly hold its own in the approach phase  ;)

Keith Iremonger
keith.iremonger@kitcnet.net

Pee Dee

• Superhero Member
  • Group Leader - Pilot.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 09:01:22 »
Bloody heck keith ! Posting at 04.52...
Can you not sleep at night or are you on early shift !!  ;)
CPU=i7 4770k@4.40GHZ. Video card=GTX 1050ti 3GB. Memory=16GB@2133MHZ.
1x 256GB SSD. 2x 500GB HDD.1x 150Gb HDD.

Duncan

• Approved Member
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 10.25 / Mac OSX 10.9.3
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 09:04:28 »
Do airports in the real world make up 'rules' on which specific aircraft THEY are willing to handle? Yes, they do
My Beechcraft Duke cruises comfortably at/above 180kts. Good for you
My SR71 cruises a tad faster than "even" a 767. Ditto, and I'm sure your willy is bigger too
Am I simply banned from Thursdays? (By whom?) With the greatest of respect, you've been pontificating on our Thursday fly-ins for more years now than I care to remember, and to my knowledge - though I am prepared to be corrected on this - you have not yet had a go, yet you seem able to offer an opinion on almost everything we do, whether asked for or no
Do I need to put in a bid for Wednesdays? If you like
Do we need a separate evening for c172's plus Cubs and another for B58's plus c337's? If people want to, why not?
This thread is becoming unsustainable.....and rather silly. Parts of it are
B
(Somebody is bound to suggest that they now be given their own Forum "room)! What a good idea

You have, and not for the first time, managed to baffle me with your reply. I'm at a loss to understand what on earth this has got to do with SR71s or Baron 58s. The point Ollie is trying to make should be perfectly obvious to anybody. Whilst nobody has a problem with a mix of aircraft (and why would we, for all love?), and whilst the Dash-8 looks like a great add-on, I believe equally that people who joined for high-level, big jet flying are right to be a little concerned.

In an effort to (presumably) avoid 'processional' flying, we now have a situation where there is only one real planned control, and at the recent fly-in when I arrived there was hardly anybody left, just Phil, and I as far as I know, maybe one or two others.

We are almost reaching the point where it feels like two separate fly-ins anyway. What will happen is that the big jet pilots will feel pressure to file shorter routes, or start earlier, which people who are working cannot always do.

Turning back to Barry's post, tell you what, can I turn up for one of your GA fly-ins in a big jet, after all it is capable of of flying at 140-150kts and using VORs, is that OK? Shall I book for Tuesday? Then I can get a load of my mates to also turn up in 737s etc, week after week, and slowly more and more of us will do that, obviously in time we will need bigger runways and such...

And anyone who disagrees with me is an enemy of progress.

Mac OS, X-Plane 64 bit, XSBX, Skymaxx Pro

Mac@Bath

• GA Fly-in Planner
  • Superhero Member
  • "All round pretty good guy." (Sometimes!)
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 09:29:12 »
- from Duncan
....tell you what, can I turn up for one of your GA fly-ins in a big jet, after all it is capable of of flying at 140-150kts and using VORs, is that OK? Shall I book for Tuesday? Then I can get a load of my mates to also turn up in 737s etc, week after week, and slowly more and more of us will do that, obviously in time we will need bigger runways and such...

Well, If you can get your bigger willy 737 to arrive safely at - say - Enstone, Shoreham, or the Philipines, then ....see you on Tuesdays...we'd ALL like to watch the ex-spurts.

How about "pot" & "kettle", sunshine?    'Pontificate'? Moi?
Who IS it that is Dash-ist?   (Not the 5+ BFSG Members who regularly now enjoy flying them - on legitimate Regional routes, surely?)  Perhaps two or three hours of just watching a magenta line above the clouds has lost its appeal?   Beware you MD11 aficionados.....you never know what craft might next be assigned to the proscribed list.

I told you this thread was just getting silly!  ::)
(And do be careful, Dunk....one of our Senior Members is not too keen on 'red' posts!!)
B
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 May 2014, 09:41:07 by Mac@Bath »

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:10:10 »
Just to put the record straight in what has become an increasingly silly and vitriolic thread, Barry says -
(And do be careful, Dunk....one of our Senior Members is not too keen on 'red' posts!!)

I think the point that was being made, Barry, was that your use of colours, exclamations and capitals was the issue, not the use of different colours to indicate a reply as Duncan has done.

As regards the Dash8, I  have personally, already stated that the old style Heavies have to accept that under our new heading of the Airline Group, we have to allow that propeller driven aircraft are fit for purpose. 

Keith Iremonger has provided a useful set of VMOs for the Dash8 that certainly put the lid on the discussion as regards achievable speeds. I am grateful for his interest and inputs.

This thread has outlived its usefulness and should be locked.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:46:37 by Ollie Alderson »

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 12.0 / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 21:46:51 »
Perhaps a separate board for what is becoming a significant element of our membership isn't a bad idea. As has been pointed out, they have their own fly-ins on Sunday mornings.

Anyway, I'm glad someone else suggested locking this thread...

* Random Image

My rig based on 737NGX
 Views: 423
Posted by pwaller
Jan 17, 2015
in phils pics