* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Random Image

Thursday nite mob on 30th july at Bristol
 Views: 480
Posted by MYK956 (RIP)
Jul 31, 2009
in Sunday nites

Author Topic: TeamSpeak ]I[  (Read 13705 times)

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • X-Plane 11.40 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
TeamSpeak ]I[
« on: Mon, 18 Nov 2013, 21:18:07 »
Please post your questions about how to get up and running with TeamSpeak 3 in this thread - and refer to it if you have a problem to see if your question has already been answered.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 08:31:33 by Andy Parish »

Mac@Bath

• GA Fly-in Planner
  • Superhero Member
  • "All round pretty good guy." (Sometimes!)
Re: TeamSpeak ]I[
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 Nov 2013, 23:35:41 »
Hi Andy,
Can you please RE-check the setting of our PTT button(s) please.
We have (previously) had the Rt-trl as default (in TS2).   But, by using FSFDT, we could subsequently assign our yoke trigger (Button-1) ( to emulate that....but it only worked when FSX is open).
The other evening it did seem that I could use my yoke button as ptt....but without FSX.   Tonight, I can no longer do this.
What have I touched (wrongly !)?
B

Mike Pike

• Approved Member
  • Gloster Approach
    • VATSIM-UK
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 00:35:01 »
I imagine if you run FSFDT outside of FSX it may be possible to detect the PTT on the yoke without FSX. I haven't tested this theory!

Mike Pike

Mac@Bath

• GA Fly-in Planner
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 07:13:00 »
Interesting thought, Mike.
Sadly, my FSFDT  only comes on WHEN (=after) I have started FSX......
But maybe there is a way to do that?
B

Pete Allnutt

• Going Around - Again
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
    • CIX VFR Club
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 08:09:52 »
If you set the PTT button in TS3 to use a yoke/joystick button it will work when ever TS3 is open. If you find it stops working when TS3 is running, but does not have focus, I suggest you try the usual trick of run as administrator.
Pete Allnutt
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Airlines Fly-in Planners
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 08:45:48 »
I appreciate that TS2 will continue as an active programme for the time being but what will happen, eventually, if I do not install TS3. Will I still be able to communicate with those that have made the switch?

Quite honestly, I am perfectly happy with TS2 and if it ain't broke - don't fix it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 08:47:33 by Ollie Alderson »
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return   Leonardo da Vinci.

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 09:25:28 »
I appreciate that TS2 will continue as an active programme for the time being but what will happen, eventually, if I do not install TS3. Will I still be able to communicate with those that have made the switch?

Simple answer is no I'm afraid. Everyone who needs to talk needs to be using the same version of TeamSpeak.

Quite honestly, I am perfectly happy with TS2 and if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

I understand this argument Ollie, and in many instances agree that it's a good rule to live by - except when it comes to technology. CODEC technology (coding and decoding of audio and video to and from a digital signal) has evolved in leaps and bounds in the more than ten years since TeamSpeak 2 was released. It's probably overstating things slightly, but think of the improvement in audio quality as being the difference between AM and FM radio for the same amount of data and you're getting there.

Of course, someone is going to point out that the FSD software we use for fly-ins is extremely old - and it is, but as far as I'm aware there's no publicly available alternative which allows pilots in many different simulators to fly together in the same virtual skies over a public facing internet connection.

All I'd ask is that you take a look, and try it out. The instructions I've prepared are fairly comprehensive, and if you've already got audio working on your machine - which you clearly have - then getting online with TS3 really is quite simple. There will be plenty of people around here in a week or so who have ironed out any teething troubles who will be able to help if I'm not around too.

JayBee

• Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member
  • Founder Member
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 15:54:18 »
I have been using Teamspeak 3 on VATSIM for over a year. The sound quality is just so much better so I fully endorse what Andy has said.

I was using it last night to chat to BFSG members and the sound quality is streets ahead of TS 2

JB
Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member

Wycliffe

• Approved Member
  • xplane fanboy and convert
    • FlyBy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 16:49:08 »
It is so streets ahead that it can often sound as if the people your chatting to are in the same room as you. hahahahaha

Wycliffe
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 Dec 2013, 09:43:24 by Wycliffe »
"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets"

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 18:37:58 »
I have thanked Andy Parish personally for the help that he has given me settig up TS3 so this is just a general acknowledgement, what would we do without him and Pete Allnutt? I rather fear that the BFSG would fall apart without their help.

Anyway, despite my earlier reservations - roll on February!  ::)
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 Nov 2013, 18:39:30 by Ollie Alderson »
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return   Leonardo da Vinci.

JayBee

• Founder Member
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 Nov 2013, 07:58:47 »
Teamspeak 3 will go live long before February.

It seems that most members now have it installed and running and so we are just waiting for those who have not yet caught up

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 Nov 2013, 09:30:12 »
Teamspeak 3 will go live long before February.

JB - I thought that February was based on giving Andy time to solve the problem associated with changing TS3 rooms by frequency selection. If not the creation of a dedicated Radio2 file seems a little pointless.

Andy Parish

• BFSG Leader (& Geek!)
  • Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 Nov 2013, 12:35:43 »
If changing rooms using COM1 is a pre-requisite, then there will be a challenge in getting things up and running this side of Christmas! But we do need to ask ourselves, given the number of people using the facility in FSX, whether it's a pre-requisite for a move, or a nice to have afterwards. There may of course be an element of how many aren't using it because of its (perceived) unreliability in FSX right now.

You can be sure that I'll be working on something which provides this capability with FS and X-Plane, but I can make no promises as to timelines. I would hope to achieve something useful before or over Christmas, but that's aspirational!

Mac@Bath

• GA Fly-in Planner
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 Nov 2013, 14:58:43 »
Might it be rather helpful - especially for any potential new (or returning) on-liners that we (=Andy + Pete) put a friendly "warning" notice on the earlier 'Start Here' (TS2) Notams .....possibly in more than one thread (where beginners may [should!!] go).... to advise them now NOT to install TS2, but, instead, to go DIRECTLY to installing TS3.
Just a thought.
B

JayBee

• Founder Member
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 Nov 2013, 17:54:39 »
The change to Teamspeak 3, with the benefits that it brings will not be delayed because a small minority of the Heavies Group use the Radio 2 file.

That would be unfair to the majority who do not use that option

We will switch to Teamspeak 3 very soon now

We are grateful to Andy for committing his time to this change, and in time there may well be an option as described.