* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Welcome to Gliding  (Read 1452 times)

JayBee

• Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member
  • Founder Member
  • Superhero Member
Welcome to Gliding
« on: Wed, 31 Mar 2010, 09:31:18 »
We currently have 3 group members who are also active members of the UK Virtual Gliding Association (UK VGA), and I know of 2 members who use the Condor gliding simulator. So there is an interest within the BFSG in this minority sport.

If you are interested in knowing more about gliding, either online flying, as we do, or just using the programme offline, the following links will be useful:

1.   The UK VGA - http://www.ukvga.org.uk/

2.   The International Virtual Soaring Society - http://www.virtualsoaring.org/

3.    The Condor Gliding Simulator - http://www.condorsoaring.com/

These links are all doorways to a vast amount of information and learning experience. I will not attempt a comprehensive summary of the differences between these groups, however, I would be willing to try to provide a reply to any questions on the subject of Gliding Sims.

JB

Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Airlines Fly-in Planners
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
Re: Welcome to Gliding
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 Mar 2010, 10:58:09 »
When  retired from the RAF, I wondered how I would fill my time, so I joined the Bicester Gliding Club. They were a super bunch of people but I quickly realised that all my years of flying had not prepared me for the difficult art of keeping the ball in the middle that had previously been taken care of by yaw dampers and aileron/rudder co-ordination systems. After ten lessons or so, I admitted to my instructor that I would never be a glider pilot and resigned my membership.   :'(

Now, of course, I have discovered the joys of the bfsg and spend more time than I care to admit reading and writing in this forum. Still, we do have a most enjoyable time every Thursday on our Fly-Ins and renewing friendships at the Barn once a month. As JB said recently, we do seem to have a very successful group.

Just keep that darned string down the line!
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 Mar 2010, 11:03:58 by Ollie Alderson »
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return –  Leonardo da Vinci.

PSimpson (RIP)

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 Mar 2010, 15:28:55 »
If you go onto the US FAA site you can download their 200? page glider flying manual for free as well as many other aviation publications.

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 Mar 2010, 16:57:51 »
Pete - Sounds interesting. Do you have a link?
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return –  Leonardo da Vinci.

JayBee

• Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member
  • Founder Member
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 Mar 2010, 19:40:47 »
The UK VGA site has a lot of gliding info - including a very professional 'how do do it' manual.

http://www.ukvga.org.uk/documentation.php

JB
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 Apr 2010, 17:02:35 by JayBee »
Bristol Flight Simulator Group Founder Member

PSimpson (RIP)

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 Apr 2010, 10:17:55 »

Ollie Alderson

• Country Member
  • Superhero Member
  • Plt Off P. Prune !!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 Apr 2010, 13:56:49 »
Thanks Pete -

I had thought of suggesting a presentation on Weight and balance at one of our Barn meetings, but having had a quick glance at the document in your link on the subject - what is the point? The problems are more than adequately covered for any virtual pilots who may be interested.

* Random Image

UFO #2
Spurious AndyP can be seen to the left while you can just make out he has already landed!
 Views: 722
Posted by Pete A (G-SPCA)
May 30, 2008
in Fly-ins